The Cortland County Convention & Visitors Bureau Seeks Executive Director
Cortland County Convention and Visitors Bureau Position Description
Position Title: Executive Director, Cortland County Convention and Visitors Bureau
Responsible To: Board of Directors
To enhance the general economy of Cortland County, it’s cities, towns and villages, through promotion of tourism events, conventions, trade shows and supporting activities, consistent with goals and objectives, and related policies of the Convention and Visitors Bureau. Within the framework; plans, organizes, coordinates and directs staff, activities and programs of the Convention and Visitors Bureau. Acts with authority to administer day-to-day financial matters within the set budget. Prepares periodic budgets in support of Bureau programs. (Research, prepare and submit applications for grants and matching fund monies.) This in accordance with the Cortland County Convention and Visitor’s Bureau bylaws.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Sales and Marketing
- Develop and implement a comprehensive marketing plan that addresses the leisure, conference, meeting and group tour market.
- Work with the Social Media Marketing Specialist to develop and maintain a comprehensive Social Media Marketing Plan.
- Act as Cortland County’s tourism representative with the appropriate tourism related agencies and associations.
- Develop a close working relationship with local tourism partners to ensure a strong, cooperative tourism promotion effort.
- Develop collateral material to support the Cortland County Convention and Visitor’s Bureau’s marketing plan in response to and in anticipation of inquiries.
- Monitor the operation of the Cortland County Convention and Visitor’s Bureau to ensure it is being run in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
- Ensure the appropriate documentation and maintenance of Convention and Visitors Bureau records, files and office properties.
- Prepare an annual budget and monitor the financial condition of the Convention and Visitors Bureau including the preparation and distribution of appropriate reports.
- Hire, train, develop and dismiss Convention and Visitors Bureau staff in accordance with the Cortland County Convention and Visitors Bureau policies.
- Keep the Convention and Visitors Bureau’s Board of Directors apprised of marketing plans, programs and events as they relate to the Convention and Visitors Bureau.
- Plan, implement and oversee a program to respond to all types of visitor inquiries.
- Develop and evaluate new programs and methods to promote tourism in Cortland County.
- Apply for tourism related grant funding including but not limited to I Love New York Matching Funds grants, Consolidated Funding Application grants and Market NY grants.
- Communication and Visitor Industry Relations
- Maintain a high level of visibility and availability for the communities, businesses, civic organizations and elected officials in Cortland County.
- Act as the official spokesperson for the Cortland County Convention and Visitors Bureau.
- Keep Convention and Visitors Bureau Board of Directors aware of activities and programs of the Convention and Visitors Bureau. Communicate with committees and other components when appropriate.
- Serve on the Board of Directors of the Finger Lakes Regional Tourism Council and other tourism related Boards when it helps to foster the efforts of the Cortland County Convention and Visitors Bureau.
- Communicate with tourism industry representatives in an appropriate, and when necessary, confidential manner in the best interest of all parties involved.
- Leadership – visionary, positive change agent, charismatic
- 5 years of direct or directly related experience
- Direct sales and marketing experience
- Diplomatic and consensus-building skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Public speaking, presentation and excellent writing skills
- A dedicated work ethic and availability to work unusual/occasionally long hours
- Preferred Bachelor’s or Graduate degree in hospitality, marketing , or business
Please email Cover Letter and Resume’ to Jim Dempsey, Executive Director of the Cortland Convention and Visitor’s Bureau at: